funsec mailing list archives

Re: Re: Malware sharing? People are full of shit [was: Getyour computer viruses here!]

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 14:30:51 +1300

James Kehl wrote:

As the success/survival of Val's project depends on getting new samples
and analysis, it will flop if the people with the samples don't like the
rules they're forced to provide them under. No samples means no blackhats
downloading samples, so Val isn't the only one in control. :)

Which is why he won't be getting any sampels from me...

On the other hand, I haven't noticed anyone saying that the current system
the good guys use is perfect, so the failure of the only proposed
alternative isn't really what anyone wants.

This is by far NOT the _only_ alternative.  There are innumerable VX
and other open access malware sample sites out there.  There are also
some limited scope "quasi-official(-ish)" groups that share samples
among all their members and with fairly open entry requirements...

Could I possibly suggest that the people arguing for better blackhat
exclusion etc. actually just set up a site that they _would_ be happy to
see exist or provide samples to?

I won't be, as I am already where I need to be re: access to samples
_AND_ as I'm a "viruses are just bad and you have to be especially
especially trusted to get any from me" bigot, such a site would have to
have very strict pre-analysis of samples to ensure that viruses were
not made available to the "less trusted" who may still be "trustworhty
enough" for access to "lesser" malware...

And, of course, the "pre-ananlysis" stage means that this site would
NOT meet one of Val's major stated objectives, meaning that Val and his
close suporters would just keep doing what they are doing anyway.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald