funsec mailing list archives

RE: FW: [Politech] U.S. passports to receive RFID implants starting in October 2006 [priv]

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 21:01:36 -0400

The 14443 RFID smartcard technology that U.S. passports will be using has
been around for about 10 years.  The same technology is also going to be
used in the next generation of credit cards.  Something like 200 million
14443 ID cards have already been sold.  I'm not aware of any successful
attacks against the cards, but I don't know how hard people have tried.  If
someone wants a fake passport, it probably will be cheaper and easier to
slip someone in the  passport office a $1,000.

Richard