funsec mailing list archives

Re: beneware?

From: Gary Warner <gar () askgar com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:36:04 -0500

We don't call it spyware. We call it "inventory software". We use TSCensus at work (from Tally Systems, recently acquired, to my great dismay, by Novell, the worst marketing company on the planet.)

TSCensus will not only tell us every application that is installed, it also will tell us how many seconds each of them ran each day, and how many seconds they were "active" as opposed to "launched but not doing anything". We use the software to sweetly suggest to people who are trying to buy expensive packages for their employees that the employees who already own the software aren't actually using it, and maybe they would like to transfer it. We also use it to identify execution of several hundred common "bad things", which cause an alarm to go off on a console, and a personal visit from one of my staff to inquire as to the business need of "StripperSoft" or some such screensaver application that applies spyware.

Of course, most of the guys on my security team have written scripts to go into the locally stored "usage" log and eradicate the things they don't want observed. I suppose I should fire them, but I enjoy their creativity too much.

_-_
gar

Douglas F. Calvert wrote:

Hello,
So dave has his nematodes, where is the beneware (like
malware/spyware but gooder:)? Spyware would be a great way for IT
departments to survey desktop application usage. Has anyone ever seen
anything like this for data collection?
--
--dfc
douglasfcalvert () gmail com