funsec mailing list archives

Re: Nordea Sweden shuts Internet banking due to targeted phishing

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 15:47:01 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, Craig Webster wrote:

Hi,
That WON'T WORK because it relies on TRAINING USERS, which CANNOT BE DONE.
Instead, let's try selective breeding. Avoid the phishing scam or we'll
cut your bits off. :)
That will work, but will take several million years
Hmm good point. Still, it's the most cost-effective solution I've found
so far. All it requires is a knife after all.
You have to pay the knife-wielder, and this has to be funded over several
million years - it's cheaper to redesign the system so that it's hugely
more difficult to compromise.

I'll be the knife-weilder for free. I'm sure we'd manage to find someone in
each generation to do it for nothing.

Actually - natural selection will actually work just fine. Those banks
that adapt and use more secure systems will have a competitive advantage
over the banks that don't, and that's all you need to drive the
evolutionary process for the banks.

This is only true so long as clients actually care about security and don't
think "oh it'll never happen to me; I'll stick with my current bank because
it's less hastle."

That's why it takes millions of years.