funsec mailing list archives

Re: Internet users say debate over control misses point

From: Richard Cox <richard () beijing spamhaus cn>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 20:30:15 +0000

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 22:58:04 GMT
"Fergie (Paul Ferguson)" <fergdawg () netzero net> wrote:

Finally, some reasonable rhetoric. :-)

Up to a point, yes ...

Groups representing Web surfers at the talks complained that the
dispute between the United States and the rest of the world over
administration is overshadowing more important issues, such as
cleaning up spam from e-mail systems and combating cyber crime
and identity theft, areas where they say governments should play
a more active role.

No.  The lack of accountability of the naming and addressing authorities
seems to me to be fundamental to exactly those problems.  Certainly, the
response of the US State Department (during the 2004 Geneva Spam Summit)
to calls from developing countries for help with combatting US spammers
who were hacking local computers in those countries, was unimpressive
and made me think that even if the UN was bad, continuing the status
quo with the US in control, would ultimately be far worse ...

Richard