funsec mailing list archives

RE: Book: "Spychips" Sees an RFID Conspiracy

From: "Discini, Sonny" <Sonny.Discini () montgomerycountymd gov>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 11:49:21 -0400

Fergie Wrote:
I enjoy a good conspiracy theory as much as the next guy. ;-)

Via Wired News:

[snip]

A new book by privacy advocates makes the case that
corporations and government agencies are in collusion to put
tiny radio transmitters on nearly everything we buy.
Companies say it's about providing thought leadership, not
the Mark of the Beast.

Katherine Albrecht and Liz McIntyre hope to become the twin
Erin Brockoviches of RFID, by revealing the threat posed by
the radio tag replacements for barcode labels

They may get their wish, if readers believe the conclusions
of the privacy advocates' new book, "Spychips: How Major
Corporations and Government Plan to Track Your Every Move with RFID".

Albrecht and McIntyre make a staggering accusation in
Spychips: that Philips, Procter and Gamble, Gillette, NCR and
IBM are conspiring with each other and the federal government
to follow individual consumers everywhere, using embedded
radio tags planted in their clothing and belongings.

[snip]

http://wired-vig.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,69068,00.html

- ferg

Interesting. When I opened a pack of Gillette razors the other day,
indeed I found an RFID chip inside. I knew those bastards were up to
something when I signed up for that shopping bonus card!  ;-)

Sonny Discini, Senior Network Security Engineer
Department of Technology Services
Enterprise Infrastructure Division
Montgomery County Government