funsec mailing list archives

Re: Sony DRM Rootkit (again) and questions about its disclosure...

From: Pierre Vandevenne <pierre () datarescue com>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 19:14:42 +0100

Good Day,

F> Okay, so Bruce Schneier has an article in Wired today where he
F> say this:

F> What do you think of your antivirus company, the one that didn't
F> notice Sony's rootkit as it infected half a million computers? And

Simple answers would be

- the Sony "rootkit" isn't a virus, despite the genre confusion
currently fueled by the medias. I don't expect an anti-virus to detect
everything that's bad or could be bad for me or my computers. However,
I'd expect behavioral analysis based rootkit detectors to ring some
bells.

- it did not "infect" computers. While the level of non-disclosure
about how the program acted was of course inacceptable, it was
announced and installed in a fairly standard way.

Also, as far as I know some anti-virus companies independently found out
but weren't too sure on how to tackle the problem legally. Similar
situations have been quite ambiguous in the past.

But what about the larger picture? There are, imho, dozens of similar
issues in current software, be they multi-user games utilities, copy
or content protections, adware, etc... Why aren't people paying
attention now? Why aren't pundits writing about it now? People need to
spend time and eventually be able to derive benefits (such as
advertisement) of their work.  Everyone is hammering Sony right now,
because it is a sure way to get attention.  The problem is really
fundamental, and the tools to find about it in a time and cost
effective way simply don't exist today (yes, I wrote this :().

Now, the fundamental truth is that it isn't possible to implement copy
protection mechanisms that would be beyond reproach. I am sure people
involved in today's operation are fully aware of that. But of course,
simply saying "we oppose all kind of copy/content protection" isn't
too politically correct. Better attack it from the sides, for example
by an "ad absurdum" reduction tactic where content protection will
ultimately be shown to be intrinsically unsafe.

(disclosure: have financial interests with both sides)

--
Best regards,
 Pierre                            mailto:pierre () datarescue com