funsec mailing list archives

Re: Registered Traveler Plan Raises Privacy Issues

From: Gregory Hicks <ghicks () cadence com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 12:57:56 -0800 (PST)

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 19:09:29 GMT
To: funsec () linuxbox org
Subject: [funsec] Registered Traveler Plan Raises Privacy Issues

Oh, goody. More opportunities for inept private companies to
"inadvertently disclose" your privacy information.

Actually, I think that the real reason the government is not running
this is because they are not allowed to collect such info.  At least,
that was my impression from the TIA furor...

[snip]

Airline passengers who buy a preapproved security pass could have
their credit histories and property records examined as part of the
government’s plan to turn over the Registered Traveler program to private
companies.

In announcing the new plan Friday, the Transportation Security
Administration said the Registered Traveler card would let frequent
fliers go through airport security lines more quickly if they pay a fee,
pass a government background check and submit 10 fingerprints. The
program will begin June 20.

The agency announced that it would require companies to conduct more
in-depth security background checks, for example, “by using commercial
data specifically authorized by customers, or by other voluntary means.”

[snip]

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10939789/

*sigh*

- ferg
--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net

Gregory Hicks                           | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems                  | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1             | Fax:      408.894.3479
San Jose, CA 95134                      | Internet: ghicks () cadence com

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin