funsec mailing list archives

encrypted botnets?

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 02:42:23 +0200

Paul Schmehl wrote:
--On Wednesday, January 25, 2006 15:19:18 +0000 Fergie <fergdawg () netzero net> wrote:

I see Jon's busy stirring things up. :-)

Via TechWorld.

[snip]

Voice-over-IP apps could be used to cloak networks of zombies, used to
launch denial of service attacks, a Cambridge professor has warned.

Armies of ordinary PCs - "botnets" - that have been infected by a virus
and put under malicious control, could be controlled and orchestrated by
messages hidden in VoIP traffic generated by programs such as Skype,
warned Jon Crowcroft, Marconi professor of communications systems at
Cambridge University.

[snip]

More here:
http://www.techworld.com/news/index.cfm?NewsID=5232

I dunno. Maybe I'm dense. How is this different from any other method of control once you encrypt the traffic? (And please don't tell me that IM or IRC can't be encrypted.) The issue isn't the protocol being used. It's the behavior. And how does encrypting the traffic *hide* the botmaster?

Scenario:
100,000 bot network
10,000 "sub" controllers
1000 "master" controllers

All traffic between these 100,000 bots is encrypted Skype, and the traffic patterns match DDoS or spam runs. Gee. I wonder what's going on there? But we can't tell because {{{gasp}}} it's encrypted!

Huh?  What am I missing?

Nothing, you will still see the botnet as you stated.

Once you have the sample, you will also probably learn how to see most of what's going on desite encryption.

        Gadi.