funsec mailing list archives

Re[4]: Why iPods at Work are bad...

From: Pierre Vandevenne <pierre () datarescue com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 15:32:55 +0100

Good Evening,

deleted, they are taken out of the master boot record,"

TT> True, data recovery is a whole different topic. I am not a pro at

The master boot record being, usually, around 512 bytes, it would be
pretty crowded down there if every deleted or undeleted files had any
link to it ;-)

TT> No tool exist to "wipe" a iPod, so what is on your CFO's iPod??

Well, there isn't a tool that has a single big red button where "wipe
my iPod" is written. But wiping an iPod with the usual set of tools
isn't more a problem than wiping any other USB mass storage device.

Since Apple performs/suggests frequent firmware updates, data about
the device that performed the update could conceivably be embedded in
the data that is flashed.

One point worth considering when one talks about wiping data in an
iPod is its eventual reliance on some partioning information during
the boot process. For example, while most digital cameras can use and
format memory cards that have been zeroed from beginning to end,

- some Minolta would hang if there was no partition table
- most FAT-16 camera were not only unable to use but also unable to
repartition/reformat FAT-32 media.

--
Best regards,
Pierre                            mailto:pierre () datarescue com