funsec mailing list archives

Re: all the paranoid "privacy dudes" - check this .CN example

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 21:02:25 +1300

David Ulevitch wrote:

Capitalize the T.  Tiananmen is a proper noun.  Then compare the
results.

http://images.google.com/images?q=Tiananmen
http://images.google.cn/images?q=Tiananmen

First, as Richard M. Smith has shown, there appears to be a case-
sensitivity bug (or is it a feature?  8-) ) in their "censorware".

But even ignoring that...

Look any better?

Better, yes, BUT there is still a discrepancy of "about 1900" (or
"about 11% of the larger number of results") fewer images returned by
the Chinese site.  Given the age of the event, I doubt that such a size
difference is due to "index-lag" between the, possibly primary, English
language google.com and its non-English "equivalents" (mind you, I
don't read or speak Chinese, so maybe the default at google.cn is NOT
to return "all language" results???).

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald