funsec mailing list archives

RE: When will enough be enough?

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:51:27 GMT

Coming? I think I don't like what's already happening.

In fact, I _know_ I didn't enjoy spending three hours at my
bank a couple of weeks ago for a fraud claim on my bank account
because someone, somehow, managed to get their hands on my ATM
card number and run up several hundred dollars worth of online
purchase.

Now, I'm pretty sure they (whomever) didn't get my ATM card
number from me, so that would beg the question: Where did they get
it from?

That's a rhetorical question, BTW.

The result of this, and other insecurities with personal data,
fincancial information, etc., will be that people will be much
mor hesitant to use this information in online transactions --
something that will hurt the Internet as a medium for electronic
financial transctions, online shopping, etc.

A shame.

- ferg

-- "Randall M" <randallm () fidmail com> wrote:

The amount of data thief is just astounding though. Who's doing this. Who's
behind it? Two kids on the couch with noting to do? I don't think so. What
part of a bigger picture is involved here? I'm not sure but I have this
sinking feeling we aren't going to like what's coming down the road.

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net