funsec mailing list archives

Re: Gadi Busted In Massive Conspiracy

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 10:34:22 -0500

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 22:10:02 PST, Randy Abrams said:

They don't even know they are running the tool. This is a silent download
(after the first time) that runs in the background. It is delivered with
Windows Update automatically and there is no UI until it finds something.
All it takes is a default XPSP2.

Does this happen even if autoupdate isn't enabled? Or on pre-XPSP2 systems, of
which there are a lot?  Or if it decides to update at 3:17AM, and the box is
turned off then? Or if the person is on dialup? Or if a proxy/NAT needs to be
configured? (I don't know, as I don't do Windows that extensively...)

As an aside, consider that there's a clear existence proof that anything
delivered along with the auto-update doesn't get to as many places as we'd wish -
after Patch Tuesday, there's still a significant number of unpatched machines
out there...

I'll skip the paranoid concept that the XPSP2 EULA gives the tool the right to
declare critical files from a Firefox or OpenOffice install 'malicious' and
nuke them without notifying the user...  Even MS wouldn't stoop *that* low.
(Although the legalistics that would happen with a sufficiently big false
positive *would* be amusing to watch from the sidelines. ;)

(Of course, if it's rammed down user's throats with XPSP2, then there's probably
a few percent at least, and making the extrapolation becomes statistically
viable.  At least *if* you can get your hands on Microsoft's stats from the
service....)