funsec mailing list archives

Re: no luck trying to fire McAfee

From: "dudevanwinkle () gmail com" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 23:43:14 -0800

Laudie, Enoch A. wrote:

Not sure how many McAfee disciples are on this list, but this is the *fun* one where we all chuckle, right?

My usual concern with antivirus products is their detection and speed for deploying new patterns/dat files.  But
here's an instance where I am assisting a friend who cannot seem to get rid of the McAfee product and its accompanying
recurring billing.  Perhaps McAfee has learned from CoolWebSearch and Troj_Dloader, etc, and has figured out how to
always keep a customer regardless of the customer's wishes.

Found this gripe site of exactly the same thing.  Probably just a coincedence.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bkinnon/mcafee.htm

Regards,
Enoch

McAfee's virex product will also ignore a winviri on a roaming profile
or email, thus infecting the host machine if the file is accessed once,
assumed safe, then accessed from another machine without the benefit of McAV

Also; dat turnarounds are kinda lax (of course their extra.dat _might_
help), and their epolicy obfusticator will add another penny; plus they
are one of the few vendors left that charge extra for spyware removal,
makes this one a no-go for bigger companies.

Then again for older infrastructures, the AIX, BSD, Linux, etc., etc.,
coverage is Unparalled..

Me? NOD32 needs to have an enterprise app and I would be happy if SAV
stopped trying to wash my underwear on top of doing sig based detection.
Kaspersky needs to stop writing so many viri and infecting their
neighbors, move out of the old KGB building and make sure their
employees at least curb their dogs inside he shop (hehe jk, kaspersky is
great, 'cept for the enterprise licensing woes: munge one .lic, everyone
is opened to anything)

Symantec has more entry points than a Thai Whore on New Years, but they
do a number on being an aggressive app (bad on CPU, good on fighting for
"first to load"[i think the 7 services help out ;-)]). Symantec also
kills any other app trying to protect your system due to
territorial/bragging rights, but waddayagonnado?

ClamAV is free, and so is AVG, and even though Sophos charges me, but
their Symbian app is nifty.

well thats all I know, hope it helped in the ways you might go.

-JP
"whew"
-JP