funsec mailing list archives

RE: Cause and Effect

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 22:08:50 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, Todd Towles wrote:

So I have seen some media reports that are talking about how little
damage was caused by Blackworm...then you see reports of all the "so
called hype". Are people really that reversed in their thinking?

Here is the real cause and effect -

If (Security pros get word out = 1)
      Then Damage = Reduced
Else Damage > Reduced

Why do people get the cause and effect so reversed?

Well, what evidence have we got that we did anything useful?

Yes, we got the media interested. But - how many people took any action
that they weren't already taking?

Apart from the big corporate whose 15,000 infections turned out to be 6,
how many cases do we know about?

I think the trouble here, is that you're taking "There was a big problem"
as an axiom (and therefore the fact that in the event it wasn't a big
problem, can only, logically, follow from the fact that the media were
alerted and the people at risk were told, and took action). Whereas most
people (including me, by the way) are taking it as a "not proven, and I've
really seen very little evidence that it was ever much of a problem".