funsec mailing list archives

RE: Ilfak's WMF patch v. Microsoft's solution

From: Hank Nussbacher <hank () efes iucc ac il>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 14:38:59 +0200 (IST)

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006, Richard M. Smith wrote:

See:
http://www.overcomeemailoverload.com/advice/DangerousEmail.html

-Hank

I believe that it is possible that all versions of Outlook and Outlook
Express will render an IFRAME in HTML email messages if the IFRAME uses the
CID: protocol to reference an attached file.  IFRAMEs will work in this
situation  regardless of security settings.  I know for example that Outlook
2003 never blocks images loaded with the CID: protocol in HTML email
messages.

If my theory is correct, then it should be possible to build a worm that
auto-executes simply by reading an HTML email message.  The worm also would
not require an external Web site to operate.

I asked Microsoft about the IFRAME/CID: issue on Friday.  They haven't said
yet if this is a problem or not.  I don't have any good way to test it
myself.

Richard