funsec mailing list archives

Re: Grannix

From: "Stephen J. Smoogen" <smooge () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 17:06:08 -0700

On 2/16/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:
On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:08:32 GMT, Drsolly said:
I just visited the KNoppix web site. It says that a GPL NTFS write support
is under development.

The 2.6.1<mumble> kernel *is* improved, but it still can't handle allocating
a new file very well....  And how long do we wait for "under development"?

It seems to be included in the current version. Downloading and trying it
now ...

The following is just from someone who support Linux and not as a
kernel developer. One big question I had when working at a Linux
company was why they didnt enable the NTFS code in the kernel.

GPL NTFS has been been under development for a long time. THe main
problems come from the complete undocumentation (aka Windows security)
of NTFS in certain spots and the fact that what works for say a NT-4.0
box can seriously corrupt an XP box. At one point (circa 2000),
read-only mounting would cause some NT-4 boxes (depending on Service
pack) to crash.

My hat is off to the kernel developers in that code.. they are pretty
much dealing with code that makes the Elder Ones fear to tread.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator