funsec mailing list archives

Re[2]: Did MS pull an Ilfak? (MS patch bindiff results)

From: Pierre Vandevenne <pierre () datarescue com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 17:54:56 +0100

Good Day,

Come on, guys, Microsoft created and compiled the patch before me if
judged by the file timestamps.

GE> So you ripped off MS? :) I knew it!
GE> It's that smile.. never trust that smile...

I know this is a bit too technical and there could/will be a lot of
confusion on this but... while the fixes DO almost the same thing,
they do it in a different way.

To take an analogy...

Gadi's about to show up at a door without lock.

Microsoft's way of handling the issue: replace the door with a door
with a lock. They have the plans and the rights to the building after all.

Ilfak's approach. Get a single minded strong guy to block the door at
all times.

Broken functionality: can't drink beer with Gadi in either cases.

--
Best regards,
 Pierre                            mailto:pierre () datarescue com