funsec mailing list archives

Re: Coldplay's new CD: can't play it, can't return it

From: "David Lodge" <dave () cirt net>
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 20:25:22 -0000

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 16:55:15 -0000, Gary Funck <gary () intrepid com> wrote:
What are the other rules? Here are some gems: "This CD can't be burnt onto a
CD or hard disc, nor can it be converted to an MP3" and "This CD may not
play in DVD players, car stereos, portable players, game players, all PCs
and Macintosh PCs." Best of all, the insert explains that this is all "in
order for you to enjoy a high quality music experience." Now, that's
quality.
[snipple]

This is fscking silly; as if a shrink wrap licence that isn't even seen until after purchase has ever had a legal standard? Of course; there is no proof that the recipient has even seen the licence so it'd shouldn't be able to stand up in a legal fight.

Second, in England the Sale of Goods Act would mean that I could return this and if not claim through the small claims court for damages, as the CD is not of saleable quality ("I bought it to play on my computer and there was no warning that it wouldn't play before I bought it")

I wonder how Coldplay feels about their fans getting all these rules set
down for them by the music label?

There seems to be a split between the "sucking up to the record label" big bands (e.g. Metallica) with their "Piracy is causing terrorism and world poverty" line and the smaller bands who view the copy protection as a pain for their fans. Quoting from the homepage of Dark Tranquillity (European metal group):

"An important note: We've recently gotten some emails from people who have bought "The gallery" or "The mind's I" and found that they can't play the album on their computers. Apparantly, Osmose productions began using a copy protection system on all their pressings in February last year, rendering the albums unreadable on PC's or Macs. This is, apparantly, not mentioned anywhere on the albums themselves, so we advise anyone that uses a computer or portable MP3 player to listen to their albums to double-check if it's a new or old pressing before purchasing"

Still it'll do nowt to stop piracy - all you need is one person to rip and distribute the tracks.

dave