funsec mailing list archives

RE: Amish Teen illegally wiretaps neighbors Phone

From: Gregory Hicks <ghicks () cadence com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:08:18 -0800 (PST)

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () bsf-llc com>
To: "'FunSec [List]'" <funsec () linuxbox org>
Subject: RE: [funsec] Amish Teen illegally wiretaps neighbors Phone
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 11:53:21 -0500

The kid got off a lot cheaper than these folks:

ADL loses $10.5 million defamation suit
http://www.jewishaz.com/jewishnews/000512/adl.shtml

As the dispute grew more heated, the Aronsons began listening to cordless
telephone conversations of the Quigleys which they managed to overhear with
a police scanner, and later recorded.
[...]

The difference is that the Aronsons actually *wiretapped* (and recorded) the
phone calls while the Amish teen just used the 'tap' as a way to make "free" (to
him) long distance calls...

Gregory Hicks                        | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1
San Jose, CA 95134

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin