funsec mailing list archives

Re: Oops: Auditor Loses McAfee Employee Data

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 22:07:13 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006, Tom Van Vleck wrote:

On Feb 23, 2006, at 7:49 PM, Fergie wrote:
Via C|Net News.
An external auditor lost a CD with information on thousands of
current and former McAfee employees, putting them at risk of
identity fraud.
The disc contained personal details on all current U.S. and
Canadian McAfee workers hired prior to April 2005 and on about
6,000 former employees in the same region, MacDermott said. (The
security company currently has approximately 3,290 employees
worldwide.) The information wasn't encrypted and potentially
includes names, social security numbers and stock holdings in McAfee.

Yup, I am a former McAfee employee, got the letter on Monday.  They
offer the customary two years of free Equifax Credit Watch, all I
have to do is give a lot of personal info to Equifax.  Do I trust
Equifax?

Do they have the same external auditor?