funsec mailing list archives

Re: IANA contract up for bid

From: Gregory Hicks <ghicks () cadence com>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 10:09:20 -0800 (PST)

Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 11:19:47 -0500
From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
To: "FunSec [[List]]" <funsec () linuxbox org>
Subject: [funsec] IANA contract up for bid

Via the register:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/24/iana_contract/
The US government has taken the extraordinary step of dangling the
contract for control of the internet above the heads of the world.

In a "Sources Sought Notice" put out by the Department of Commerce
(DoC) late on Tuesday and only just noticed by the internet community,
it is asking for "potential respondents" for the contract to run the
Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA).
[,,,]
<snip>

SO does this mean the IANA contract is actually not up for grabs, and
they are just messing with ICANN?

I went and read the notice (RFI - Request for Information) yesterday (or
was it the day before?) and noticed that the USG wants companies to tell
them HOW the IANA/ICANN *should* be run.  And how, if your company was
selected to run it, how YOU would run these functions.

The RFI goes on to say that it is NOT an RFP (Request for Proposal -
generally the first step in getting a contract awarded) and that any
expenses are to be borne by the respondent (which locks out those
"independent", low operating cost shops I think).

-JP

Gregory Hicks                           | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems                  | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1             | Fax:      408.894.3479
San Jose, CA 95134                      | Internet: ghicks () cadence com

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin