funsec mailing list archives

Re: Re: AT&T's database of 1.92 trillion phone calls (Sprint does it too, and i'm sure they aren't the only ones)

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 09:42:42 -0600

First, I've been to just about every NOC Sprint owns (corporate, local
and PCS) - and my wife has worked in two of them. While the technology
is impressive, it's still just a NOC. The record keeping they
maintain, that EVERY telco maintains is required by law, if I'm not
mistaken, as is the ability to tap a line (land or air) and trace a
call. PCS had a real issue with the last two because the the
technology used.

This kind of thing doesn't scare me. What they wind up doing with it,
at times, does scare me. What scares me even more is that no one will
ever do anything about it on a scale that matters. You might be a nut
if you run around screaming the sky is falling when we "find out"
about these kinds of things - but you'll also be a nut if you shoot
back and everyone KNOWS you're right. Oh well, we all die alone
anyway.