funsec mailing list archives

RE: Invasion of The Stock Hackers

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 18:28:26 +0000 (GMT)

Recently, I bought something from a company I've traded with many times
before. But now, they were using the "Verified by Visa" scheme.

So, I jumped though the various hoops, and set up a password. I still
don't see what protection it gives to me or to the company I bought from,
all that's happened is that the person who knows my card number (in this
case, me) has also set up a username and password.

So, I made my purchase, everything was fine.

Then Visa sent me an email. Their idea is that they can communicate with
me by email now. The whole thing was initially done over the web, and now
they think they can use email for telling me stuff.

It's hard for me to imagine what they think they're doing that improves
their security, my security of the security of people I buy from. Who on
earth sold them this scheme?