funsec mailing list archives

Re: Borrow a neighbor's WiFi connection and go to jail?

From: "S.f.Stover" <sam.stover () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 21:42:04 -0500

coderman wrote:

yes, open wireless == no effort to ensure privacy or exclude access.
encryption, even if trivially broken (like your unlocked door) implies
an effort to keep your network private, and violating that privacy is
tantamount to breaking and entering in a digital sense.

I was in a discussion a couple of months ago where we actually looked at
some of the pertinent legal statutes for the state in which the
discussion took place.  In that particular state, we determined that
cracking WEP was definitely a determining factor - just like coderman says.

Saying WEP is useless is inaccurate.  It might not stop people from
sniffing/decrypting/reading your traffic, but it makes it very clear
that it's illegal.  I'm still a bit fuzzy on whether or not sniffing
non-WEPed traffic is illegal, but sniffing and decrypting WEP definitely
is.  Well, in Idaho anyway.  ;-)

--
S.f.Stover
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x5C4DAB68