funsec mailing list archives

Re: Oops: McAfee Update Exterminates Excel

From: Axel Pettinger <api () worldonline de>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 08:51:40 +0100

Larry Seltzer wrote:

If you do daily updates, you have very little time to do Quality
Control.

This is why I don't think that this is the way to do antivirus.

Imagine the situation with companies like Kaspersky that do hourly
updates.

Well, one of Kaspersky's partners distributed a bad update 3,5 weeks
ago - it was a Friday too. The problem wasn't a false positive, but as
the scanner of that partner was (still is) used to protect the mail
system, the update caused problems for the mail system and attached
mail clients which weren't very nice ...

The strange part to me is that McAfee does have beta definitions and
I've heard from someone who tested them that the problems were
present there.
This means McAfee's QC people were truly asleep at the switch, and
I'd hope someone gets publicly fired for it.

Obviously McAfee does Quality Control only using the command line
scanner. And that was the problem here ...

http://knowledgemap.nai.com/solution/mcafee/OfficialStatements/4715_DAT_W95-CTX_FAQ2.doc

Regards,
Axel Pettinger