funsec mailing list archives

F-Secure's Bluetooth Honeypot Prototype

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 17:06:15 GMT

I've always figured that Bluetooth was going to be a _huge_ security
issue from Day_1 -- it's just a matter of time, in my opinion, before
it _really_ gets bad. :-)

This is pretty interesting.

Via the F-Secure "News from the Lab" Blog.

[snip]

We've been developing a Bluetooth honeypot. An early prototype was given a test run at the CeBIT trade fair during the
week. The embedded device announces itself as a Bluetooth phone in discoverable mode. It detects Bluetooth devices
within a one hundred meter range and creates a list of the device names found. It also accepts all file transfers and
scans them for known mobile viruses.

We were scanning from our Hall 7 booth for a week. At any given time we would see more than 100 Bluetooth devices
wandering within our range. Grand total: 12500 unique devices that a) had Bluetooth, b) had it enabled, c) had it
visible. Unbelievable.

[snip]

http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/#00000836

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net