funsec mailing list archives

Re: (Yet Another) Lost Ernst & Young Laptop Exposes IBM Staff

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 14:16:45 -0500

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 13:56:11 EST, Blanchard_Michael () emc com said:

Well, if you ask me... data such as customer's SSN#, and CC#, etc should
never be allowed to be accessed from outside the company.  If you're not
on the corporate LAN, then no access.  I'd even further lock it down to
subnets if it's possible.

Right, if *I* ask you, that's your answer.

What is your answer if a corporate VP has a non-negotiable deadline for
a report, and the people crunching the numbers *have* to go home (some of
us have kids, and they need to be picked up at day care, etc...)?

I recommend you update your resume before telling that VP where he can stick
his deadline, for you will likely be gone before the deadline arrives...