funsec mailing list archives

Re: State Department Is Criticized for Purchasing Chinese PC's

From: "Stephen J. Smoogen" <smooge () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 11:02:38 -0700

On 3/24/06, Richard M. Smith <rms () bsf-llc com> wrote:

*
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/24/business/worldbusiness/24lenovo.html?_r=1&oref=slogin&pagewanted=print
*

------------------------------
[image: The New York Times] <http://www.nytimes.com/>   [image: Printer
Friendly Format Sponsored
By]<http://www.nytimes.com/adx/bin/adx_click.html?type=goto&page=www.nytimes.com/printer-friendly&pos=Position1&camp=foxsearch2006-emailtools06-nyt5&ad=tyfs_nytimes_logo_88x31.jpg&goto=http://clk.atdmt.com/ORG/go/nwyrkfxs0040000007org/direct/01/>

------------------------------
March 24, 2006
 State Department Is Criticized for Purchasing Chinese PC's By KEITH
BRADSHER<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/b/keith_bradsher/index.html?inline=nyt-per>

HONG KONG, March 23 — A State Department purchase of more than 15,000
computers built by the Lenovo
Group<http://www.nytimes.com/redirect/marketwatch/redirect.ctx?MW=http://custom.marketwatch.com/custom/nyt-com/html-companyprofile.asp&symb=LNVGY>of
China<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/international/countriesandterritories/china/index.html?inline=nyt-geo>is
starting to draw criticism in the latest sign of American unease about
the role of foreign companies in the American economy.

I was in one of those talks with some mid-level bueracrats complaining about
something similar. They wanted to know why they hadn't bought IBM. After
pointing out that the IBM computers were built by Lenovo.. it went onto well
why arent we buying stuff that is made in the US. We pointed out that pretty
much of the sensitive parts are built in China/TW/etc already. They just get
reassembled in Canada and the US. I know it went in one ear and out the
other because they had this shell shocked look of a brain reboot going on.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator