funsec mailing list archives

$250 fine for WiFi piracy

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () bsf-llc com>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 15:43:36 -0500

http://rrstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060323/NEWS0107/103230036/101
1

ROCKFORD - Just as pirating your neighbor's cable service to watch premium
movie channels is against the law, so too is surfing the Web using someone
else's wireless Internet access.

David M. Kauchak, 32, a former Machesney Park resident, is the first person
in Winnebago County to be charged with remotely accessing another computer
system without the owner's approval. He pleaded guilty Tuesday to the charge
and was fined $250 and sentenced to one year of court supervision.

"We just want to get the word out that it is a crime. We are prosecuting it,
and people need to take precautions," Assistant State's Attorney Tom
Wartowski said.

Kauchak was arrested in January in Loves Park when local authorities learned
he was accessing the Internet through a nonprofit agency's computer.

Wartowski said a Loves Park police officer was on patrol in the wee hours of
the morning when he saw Kauchak sitting in a car with a computer.