funsec mailing list archives

Re: Network Neutrality Fans Lose on Capitol Hill

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 15:25:06 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, Fergie wrote:

The beginning of the end for the telcos? Let the punditry begin!

Via C|Net News.

[snip]

In a modest victory for broadband providers, a highly-anticipated bill
in the U.S. Congress does not include specific rules saying that some
Internet sites must not be favored over others.

Rep. Joe Barton, a Texas Republican who heads the committee responsible
for telecommunications legislation, released the text on Monday and said
that a hearing had been scheduled for Thursday at 10 am ET.

I have trouble understanding this whole "controversy".

From what I can tell, vendors of bandwidth plan to charge different
customers different amounts for the product they sell.

Everyone does this. Why shouldn't telcos?