funsec mailing list archives

Mash-up: IE, Firefox, Windows, Linux

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 23:02:28 GMT

A couple of interesting items today on this topic, as it appears
that people are finally starting get tired of the inherent insecurities
of IE (prior to 7.x) being so closely tied into the OS (Explorer).

First, this:

[snip]

Why is Anyone Still Using Internet Explorer?

OK, how many times must Internet Explorer be ripped open like a hot 16-year old in a summer slasher movie before people
finally get it: IE is not safe. Period. End of Statement.

I don't care if you only run it around the Web on Sundays and to the nicest sites. If you run IE, you're just asking to
me slammed by worms, bots, adware, and every other kind of malware on the planet. No, it doesn't matter that you're
using XP SP2 and you've downloaded all the patches. The only version that appears to be immune is IE7 beta-2.

[snip]

More:

Second, this:

[snip]

Firefox Growth, IE Decline Driven By Windows Users (Not Linux)

Some memes die hard. Along with the persistent claim that the popular Firefox browser platform is only for
Windows-haters, we often see the comment that simply downloading something... even 100 million-plus of something...
doesn't mean people are using it. In fact, Firefox's Mary Colvig says they believe 40 to 60 million people are actually
using it.

Nevertheless, something appears to be happening.

[snip]

More:
http://www.emailbattles.com/archive/battles/browsers_aadcegfgac_db/

Enjoy.

- ferg
--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net