funsec mailing list archives

*Old* false positives

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 15:13:16 -0800

I've been corresponding with someone at Eset over some files (mostly old) that
I've got on my computer, that are setting off false positives on the scanner.

One of them is dcombob.exe, Steve Gibson's DCOMbobulator DCOM on/off
proggie, so I was surprised that they triggered on that.

However, they aren't the only ones.  In trying to email them a copy, both Shaw
(my provider) and Gmail bounced the messages, specifically referring to that file.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca      slade () victoria tc ca      rslade () sun soci niu edu
I said that if people tell you your mother is not prime minister
anymore, you just turn around and say, 'So what? How often has
your mother been prime minister?'
    - Benazir Bhutto, former Pakistani prime minister, recounting
                                       advice she gave her children.
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm