funsec mailing list archives

Re: MD:Pro - Malware Distribution Project

From: Kenneth Bechtel <kbechtel () teamanti-virus org>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 14:18:55 -0500

Uhh, not to rain on your parade, but It's been tried before, and the business
model had to be evolved, to not doing this.  There are several reasons this
doesn't work. First  I'll not go into the ethical questions, I'm sure you've
heard them before, and if not, then you did no research.  Second have you
considered the legal ramifications, not all countries see this as legal., and
then there is the question of  liability if someone doesn't safely handle
your samples  Third, are technical issues, amongst are the fact that people
in the AV industry have free access to these samples, and exchange them back
and forth in a trusted secure environment, with other trusted individuals.
In the odd event they don't have a sample, they can request it from other
researchers or will get it momentarily from the customer, again FREE,
sometimes we even get them from the Virus Author themselves.  Next how are
you going to ensure the quality of your samples, are you going to take the
time to vet them before making them available to your "customers", you know,
making sure they are replicating samples, or intended, doing adequate zoo
maintenance, to not double identify a sample.  I presume you'll be using
honeypots and harvesting from VX sites, which AVers already do and share
amongst themselves.

These are just the quick issues I thought of while typing my response, I'm
sure if I think harder I could find more, but the biggest question, who are
you targeting, if it's the Counter Malware developers and researchers, they
already have access to this with a strong existing infrastructure and sources
of samples, they don't need to pay for, so why would they pay for yours?