funsec mailing list archives

Re: Silent Runners, a new tool I just found out about

From: "dudevanwinkle () gmail com" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 08:49:31 -0800

Richard M. Smith wrote:

FYI.  Check out http://www.silentrunners.org which is a tool for finding out
all of the sneaky ways that the adware, spyware, and malware vendors have
figured out to run their code on our computers.  It is similar to
HijackThis, but it looks like it is doing more checking.  The Notepad user
interface however could use some work. ;-)  I would like to see the tool
generate a nice looking HTML file instead.

Richard

Ja, but if you do deploy it in an AD type environment, you will see some
weird log entries as it queries (or attempts to query) group policy.

its a pretty cool vbs script

-JP