funsec mailing list archives

Re: Russinovich: The Antispyware Conspiracy

From: Pierre Vandevenne <pierre () datarescue com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 22:11:11 +0100

Good Day,

RMS> to develop and release viruses. I don't subscribe to that theory and trust
RMS> the major security vendors, but recent trends show that there's a fuzzy line
RMS> between second-tier antispyware vendors and the malware they clean.

That's one of the reasons, but call me old-fashioned, I believe
security professionals should insists on precise definitions of
concepts such as rootkit, spyware, viruses, worms etc...

Ce qui se conçoit bien s'énonce clairement (Boileau, 17th)
"What is conceived well is expressed clearly"

The taxonomy of the living as introduced by Linnaeus in Systema
Naturae, even if it was flawed, was essential to future scientific
progress.

If everything and anything is a virus and everything an anything is a
rootkit or a spyware, everything and anything can be an an
anti-virus/spyware/rootkit and charged for...

--
Best regards,
 Pierre                            mailto:pierre () datarescue com