funsec mailing list archives

Re: Blacklisted by a mouse?

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents montreal qc ca>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 00:43:08 -0500 (EST)

Diagnostic code: smtp;550 Not interested in mail from shawcable.net pool hosts.

Unfortunately for a number of reasons, dynamic IP space has a poor
reputation.  [...] we generally do not accept email from dynamically
assigned IP space as it can not be trusted.

I'm not convinced the mail actually was emitted from a "dynamic"
("large indistinguishable pool", really) address.  However, Shaw has
chosen a naming scheme that makes it difficult to tell the difference
mechanically, and borderline impossible without wiring Shaw-specific
(and quite likely Shaw-internal) knowledge into the relevant filter.

In my opinion that is quite sufficient reason for me as a recipient to
lump the maybe-not-dynamic emitting mailhost in with the large
homogenous pool it appears from its rDNS to belong to: if Shaw isn't
willing to take the minimal effort necessary to call out their end-user
pools in a way that makes them easily and mechanically distinguishable
from their other hosts such as mailservers (something most other
providers seem to have no trouble doing), I see no reason I should make
any attempt to make up for their laziness.

Yes, it sucks that Shaw end users get caught up in the result.  But I
see no way for me to avoid that.

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               mouse () rodents montreal qc ca