funsec mailing list archives

Re: VMWare on IntelMac? [Was: Re: 2 critical vulns and the clock is ticking..[Fwd:[EEYEB-2000801]]

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 14:21:44 -0800

Tom Van Vleck wrote:
According to www.macintouch.com, "vmware already has a version for Mac OS X in development."

Good to know.

Also from that site, attempts to run VirtualPC on an IntelMac just crash.

I had lunch with someone who used to be one of the VirtualPC developers, and someone who just happened to talk to someone who is there now. I was reminded that there is a VirtualPC for the PC that already takes advantage of the x86 it is running on, and is of course a big part of Microsoft's future virtual PC strategy. MS already ships VirtualPC for the Mac in order to run one of the components in a copy of XP which they also give you for that purpose.

So yes, it looks extraordinarily likely to me that we'll have a number of virtual x86 options available on the x86 Mac, and that there is a good chance that they will perform pretty well. Plus, that's a great use for the second CPU core that a lot of apps won't otherwise use.

Cool, a couple fewer reasons for me to hate OS X, which I've been trying for a couple of months. Now, if we can just fix how some keyboard things work, window switching... a second mouse button on my laptop... then we can talk.

                                                BB