funsec mailing list archives

RE: FW: [ISN] DHS & Your Tax Dollars

From: "Todd Towles" <toddtowles () brookshires com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:56:40 -0600

Dennis wrote -
http://news.com.com/Homeland+Security+helps+secure+open-source
+code/2100
-1002_3-6025579.html

After reading the article, sounds like the DHS is trying to make sure
Open-source are "safe" enough in the government. While this sounds good,
it also makes more sense to also help the OSS developers to fix these
issues and to help everyone. Which I suppose is why you would get "bug
reports".

In one hand, OSS developers get reports on more bugs. Those bugs being
found with advanced tools that might take years for normal users to
find. However, this increase in bug reports is not being offset by a
increase in developers or  time. No money is being offered to those
groups to fix the issues.

Sounds more like a method to find and fix "huge" problems before the OSS
community, so they feel safe using OSS software. Just my 2 cents
anyways...