funsec mailing list archives

Re: Gartner: IPsec Dead by 2008

From: John Levine <johnl () iecc com>
Date: 16 Jan 2006 21:04:24 -0000

I'd be curious to hear what others think about this...

It's typical Gartner.  If you hire them to look at your product, they
will find that it is a breakthrough that is certain to be a billion
dollar market within five years.  If you don't, or even worse your
comptetitor hires them, you're dead meat.

The IPsec protocol that has served remote access so well for the
last decade is now in its death throes, Gartner has prophesised.

Since low level infrastructure tends to be non-proprietary, Gartner
has an excellent track record of being wrong all the time.

In a new report, it predicted that by 2008, the use of IPsec will
have been swept away by its younger technological rival, SSL

Now I wonder if they know the difference between SSL and SSH.  IPsec
and SSH don't compete directly, but it sure is easy to set up tunnels
to one's home network with SSH.

R's,
John