funsec mailing list archives

Google, Apple, Yahoo: Call The Telcos' Bluff

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 15:50:55 GMT

I _like_ it!

Mike Masnick:

[snip]

People keep submitting to us the story that's making the rounds about BellSouth saying it's "pursuing discussions" with
internet companies to charge them extra for preferential treatment on their network. We didn't post it because it's not
new. The same guy said the exact same thing a month and a half ago. We're not sure why his repetition is newsworthy on
its own. Nowhere does it say that Google, Apple, Yahoo or any others are playing along with this -- which actually
would be news.

However, instead of just hoping that these companies recognize what a dangerous precedent this would set, it's time
that people call them out and tell them to call the telcos' bluff publicly.

Jeff Pulver is leading the charge with a direct appeal to Google's Eric Schmidt that he tell BellSouth (and the others,
we presume) to take a hike. Even more directly, Pulver suggests that if BellSouth pesters them about it, simply stop
allowing BellSouth customers to reach Google -- and see how long BellSouth keeps saying that Google needs to pay them.

The reason the telcos have so many DSL customers is because of the valuable services that companies like Google, Apple,
Yahoo and others provide. It's time the telcos realize that they're not the ones in the power seat here.

[snip]

http://techdirt.com/articles/20060118/037212_F.shtml

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net