funsec mailing list archives

Re: Nintendo Wii: When 'Off' Doesn't Mean Off

From: Doron Shikmoni <doron () isoc org il>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 22:44:50 +0300

Fergie wrote:
Bruce Schneier:

[snip]

We all know that, but what's interesting here is that Nintendo is changing the meaning of the word "off." We are all conditioned to believe that
"off" means off, and therefore safe. But in Nintendo's case, "off" really means something like "on standby." If users expect the Nintendo
Wii to be truly off, they need to pull the power plug -- assuming there isn't a battery foiling that tactic. Maybe they need to pull both the power plug and the Ethernet
cable. Unless they have a wireless network at home.

Technically, I guess Schneier got this point wrong.
Most of today's home equipment doesn't really turn off
when you press "off"; it's on standby.

The stereo or A/V receiver is on standby, and so is the TV
set (IR receiver awaiting your command). The HT projector,
while "off", listens on its serial port for an ASCII command
at 9600 bps. Same goes for your CATV digital set top box -
some of these guys actually remain in (IP based) contact with
"HQ" when the device is "off". I *think* the same applies to TiVo.

Heck, your PC, -- e.g. if its NIC has WoL -- is not really
off when turned off  - unless it's not powered. It's on standby,
awaiting command.

That being said, his main point is, of course, valid and
well taken. If the Nintendo sleepwalks, you might get moonstruck.

Doron