funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] T-Mobile USA, Verizon Wireless Say They Are Not Participating in NSA P hone-Records Project

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 14:26:58 -0500

You know what I find interesting about this? It just dawned on me that
the phone companies themselves do this daily. My wife is a technical
writer and as such she worked at a large telecommunications company.
One of her tasks was to create an executive-level document called the
KPI (key performance indicators). This document, among other things,
showed network usage trends. The database that information was pulled
from contained lots of things, to include devices making calls (phone
numbers or some other form of identification tied to a customer). In
other words, if trending is ALL they're doing, big deal. My guess is
that they must be going further than that to get any actual meaning
from it.