funsec mailing list archives

because I can

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 11:14:20 -0500

Local guy, my lawyer, a friend:

Liberty Notes 16 May 2006 Kevin L. Jamison
It is a good day for Liberty.

        We have one year and 6 months before Hillary Clinton
officially begins her presidential campaign.

Eva Longoria, the Hispanic diva on "Desperate Housewives" is a
shooter.  She grew up on the family ranch which dates back to Spanish
land grants.  The place must have a lot of history.

I see that Cinco de Mayo celebrates the victory of a Mexican militia
over a numerically superior French force in the 1860's.  Bingo, this
is an opening to bring them into our movement.  Mexicans Militias
drove out two European powers and conducted several revolutions in an
attempt to have a nation which represented the average Mexican.  It
does not seem to have worked.  The Mexican government today severely
restricts ownership of guns to prevent another such militia.

Tommy Ray Rollin Jr. shot Highway Patrol Trooper Brandon Brashear.
During his sentencing Junior blamed society for his action.  Despite
this sworn testimony, the court did not issue a warrant for society's
arrest.

A guy called me to ask about a handgun purchase he made in Oklahoma.
He wanted to know if the purchase was legal.  I said, "No," and
nothing more.  There was no "unless" or "on the other hand" or other
caveats.  It was an easy conversation for me; the other guy didn't
like it much.  It is illegal to buy handgun out of your home state.
One can buy long guns in other states, but only from an FFL.  NICS
makes these outdated regulations even more unreasonable.

There is a place in Delaware called "Murderkill Hundreds".  There is
actually a North Murderkill Hundreds and a South Murderkill Hundreds.
These communities may have an East side and a West side, but that
would require more research than I was motivated to undertake.  "Kill"
is a Dutch work for "creek" and the place was originally "Mother's
Creek" in Dutch; which English speakers corrupted to "Murderkill".  I
wonder what would happen if the U.N. had to choose between youth
groups such as the Compton Crips, the Bronx Savage Skulls, and the
Murderkill Boy Scouts.  Which group would the UN be most likely to
reject?  I'd say the Boy Scouts, but it's just a feeling.

On the "Becker" TV show, the lead character rants about guns saying
that he has no objection to hunting "kill Bambi if it makes you feel
like a man.  If want to know about the constitution the last person I
will ask is toothless moron."  So, we are to thank him for allowing us
to hunt and we are all toothless, sexually inadequate, morons.  I
think not.

        A web site called "Gunguys" is a front for anti-gun
propaganda.  The opposition has been reduced to pretending to be us in
order to spew their hate.

        A man accompanied a school trip to the St. Louis arch.  He
called ahead to see if there were any rules about carrying guns.  He
was told there were none.  When he arrived he walked up a wide
staircase and then found signs prohibiting guns.  He asked if there
was a place to check his gun, and was told that he was under arrest
for having a gun on federal property.  It seems that federal property
started at the bottom of the stairs or even further out.  I did not
know that the St. Louis arch was federal property.  The guard
ultimately decided not to have him charged, not because he had been
told there was no rule against guns, that is irrelevant.  He was not
charged because he had no record, and the guards decided not to
bother.  He has been banned from school activities.  Under Missouri's
roving gun free schools act it could have been worse.

The Kansas City Star, a daily tabloid, did a feature article on gun
shows.  They even quoted some of us, so they could claim to be fair.
The article, however, had a decided slant.  They quote the ATF as
saying that a quarter of merchants at gun shows do not have FFLs.
This is possibly true.  I went to the same gun show as the Star's ace
investigative reporter and it is entirely possible that a quarter of
the merchants did not have licenses.  At least a quarter of the
merchants I saw were not selling guns or ammunition.  They were
selling flashlights, and knives, and camping equipment, and holsters,
even artwork.  The Star's ace reporter appears to have been so
fascinated by "assault weapons" that she did not notice this
merchandise but the more likely reason is that we cannot trust the
media to report the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth,
so long as the truth is good for us.

        After an overwhelmingly favorable vote in the House, the
Castle Doctrine bill did not move forward in the Senate.  It appears
that there was some fear that gun issues would hurt them in an
election year.  This is the same stupid paranoia we fought for
thirteen years over License To Carry.  Every time the legislature has
voted pro-gun the people who voted our way did well in the elections.
We will continue to support many of the people who did not support us
this year, they voted for License To Carry and we do not forget such
things.  This year, every time one of use puts out signs, distributes
literature, or contributes money we will tell the politician or his
team "We are the gun nuts, we will be around to see you after the
election".  Some people need a lot of convincing.

Some Senators did not find the case for the Castle Bill compelling in
part because they did not believe that the tort reform provision was
needed.  This provision said that neither criminals nor their
relatives could sue victims if injured while plying their trade.
Certain Senators did not believe victims were sued often enough to
make this necessary.  We shall have to collect such incidents.

I had to go to Kansas for business.  I had to unload my gun and lock
it away for the occasion.  I will be glad when their CCW law goes into
effect.  I have high confidence that Missouri licenses will be valid
in Kansas, which will save much unnecessary unloading.

I read about an Alzheimer's patient whose mind has slipped back to
permanently reliving her youth in nazi concentration camps.  If you
need a definition of hell there it is.

        I am told that a daily dose of folic acid wards off
Alzheimer's disease.  If it works I will let you know, if I remember.

        I see reports that the murder rate is down, but the murders
that do occur are senseless even by the standards of criminals.
However, this is not new.  In an old copy of a magazine on the old
West an author compared the outlaw Clay Allison to the character
Benvolio in Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet who is described:

Why thou wilt quarrel with a man for cracking nuts having no other
reason but because thou hast hazel (nut) eyes . . . Thou has quarreled
with a man for coughing in the street because he hath awakened thy dog
that hath lain asleep in the sun.

        It seems that a hundred and thirty years ago, a gunman killed
just as indiscriminately as today, with the inhibition that people
shot back.  It is more interesting that four-hundred years ago,
Shakespeare described someone just as indiscriminate.  It seems that
senseless killers have always been with us and always will.

There is intense argument over the question if Iraq is experiencing a
civil war.  I don't care.  It does not matter if Iraq has a civil war
like the Spanish Civil War, the American Civil War, the English Civil
War, or China's Taiping rebellion; the choice is the same, either our
side wins, or the bad guys.  Every insurgency has aspects of a civil
war.  Our own Revolution had Patriot Americans fighting Loyalist
Americans, and not being very nice about it.

I was listening to a tape of 1776.  Among other events of that year
the author recounts the disastrous battle of New York.  The Patriot
side suffered a massive defeat, but it could have been worse.  The
British did not move aggressively because of the casualties the
American militias had inflicted at Bunker Hill.  The British feared a
frontal assault against prepared American militia positions and
therefore failed to move when there were no prepared positions and all
the advantages were theirs.  The effect of the militia defeat at
Bunker Hill prevented a worse defeat at New York.  The British could
never bring enough military force to overwhelm these rag-tag militias
and would not or could not offer a political solution, so the militias
won.

Astronomers tell us that an asteroid has a one in 6,000 chance of
striking the earth on 13 April, 2036.  They predict that it will hit
with enough force to obliterate a state.  This would appear to be a
bad thing, but it is almost certain to get you an extension on filing
taxes.

A new study claims that handling guns raises a man's testosterone.
This is seized on to "prove" that guns cause violence.  We have seen
fraudulent studies before.  Even if true, this does not mean that guns
cause violence.  If guns caused violence, we would all be dead.  The
Brady's may desire this result, but it is not true.

        I spoke to a man who corresponded with someone overseas about
an advertisement for a "legal silencer", which turned out to be a toy.
The correspondence was by e-mail.  His business was raided by BATF,
his computer, business records (non-firearm) were seized, as was his
firearms collection.  They can monitor these e-mails but can't stop
spam and ads.

I find that the doctor-patient privilege is not as advertised.
Prosecutors can force medical professionals to disclose patient
confidences if the statement is not directly related to health care.
So a doctor or nurse can testify to what a patient says, but not the
dosage of the medication that drove the random thought out of the
patient's mind.  Rush Limbaugh's medical records, which include
medical information were given to prosecutors pursuing him for abusing
pain killers.  A privacy right going back thousands of years to the
Hippocratic Oath is casually violated to make convictions more
convenient.

The 26 February, 2006 Kansas City Star, page B7 takes two-thirds of a
page to brag, "The day Kansas City stopped a lynching".  It refers to
a September, 1925 incident in which a lynch mob seized a man from a
nightclub but were stopped by a patron with a pistol, almost certainly
illegally carried concealed.  Faced with the armed standoff, the
authorities intervened.  This provided time for the community to rally
support.  The suspect was cleared of any crime and released to his
crowd of supporters.  The Star congratulates the crowd of supporters
for preventing a lynching, but barely mentions the man with the
illegally carried pistol.  If not for this man the police would not
have felt compelled to intervene, the crowd of supporters would not
have had the opportunity to gather and a Missouri tree would have
borne strange fruit, as Billie Holliday put it.

When confronted by police after a self-defense shooting many embrace
the right to remain silent, presented as a fundamental liberty in
police shows without number.  This is the best course of action,
however, if one remains silent before one is arrested, this silence
can to taken as evidence of guilt at trial.  The argument is that a
person should protest innocence when questioned.  In reality such
protests lead to unfortunate comments and admissions.  The best course
of action is to claim fear of being sued, and there have been many
such lawsuits, and need a lawyer due to the dangers of lawsuits.

We shall overcome.

Kevin Jamison