funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Did USA Today get the story all wrong?

From: coderman <coderman () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 07:59:05 -0700

On 5/18/06, Brian Loe <knobdy () gmail com> wrote:
I believe your wrong on this. The fact that some congress people were
briefed is exactly one of the AG and President's reasoning that it
isn't illegal - they had judicial oversight - that's their "out"
anyway.

i admit this has been said and is being heavily propagated and even
confirmed for at least one of these special programs.  the current
administration has a real lack of credibility with me though, so i may
be overly skeptical about similar oversight and disclosure for _all_
such highly classified special programs. (see Russ Tice statements
about additional programs and the lack of oversight due to
exceptionally restrictive compartmentalization within the NSA/DIA and
others.)

They all have - even if the subset consisted of two congress critters.
I'll even almost guarantee they insisted on it being bipartisan.

i remain skeptical.  if the congressional oversight was this limited
(a few only?) for some programs i'd be inclined to consider it
effectively non existent.  couple this with the punishment/retribution
employed against intelligence whistle blowers and you've got an
environment nearly devoid of effective oversight and accountability.

my $0.02.  we agree to disagree perhaps...