funsec mailing list archives

Re: Ben Edelman: The Spyware - Click-Fraud Connection -- and Yahoo!'s Role Revisited

From: sprite <sprite () ntsource com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 00:45:43 -0500 (CDT)

How about a concerted campaign for LARGE Boxes for EULA viewing?
This two-words-per-line-type box stuff just has to be stoppped.

Any suggestions?

sprite

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006, Fergie wrote:

Ben Edelman is The Man (tm). ;-)

[snip]

In August I reported a startling number of notorious spyware programs receiving payments, directly or indirectly,
from Yahoo!'s pay-per-click (PPC) (Overture) search system. Yahoo pays numerous other companies to show these ads via
syndication relationships.

So when a spyware vendor can't find advertisers to buy its ad inventory directly, the spyware vendor can show Yahoo
ads instead. Every time a user clicks on such an ad, the advertiser must pay Yahoo. Then Yahoo pays a revenue share
to the spyware vendor that showed the ad. My August article documented relationships between Yahoo and 180solutions,
Claria, Direct Revenue, eXact Advertising, IBIS, and SideFind.

My August article covered "just a few of the ... examples I have observed and recorded." Since then, my Yahoo-spyware
collection has grown dramatically. I now have many dozens of different examples of Yahoo pay-per-click ads shown
within spyware.

[snip]

Much, much more:
http://www.benedelman.org/news/040406-1.html

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net