funsec mailing list archives

Turning in knives? Gun Bans?

From: "Lindsey, Ben J" <ben.lindsey () centerpointenergy com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 08:34:01 -0500

Funsec,

  Maybe a real life story will help you folks out a bit.

  I was in a convenience store very late one night and was shot in the
back with a stolen sawed-off shotgun -- not only stolen, but carried by
a felon.  My saving grace was that it contained dove and quail load.
There was nothing I could do -- I had no weapon -- and I know drawing
one in that case (had I had one) would have made things worse.  It hurt
like hell -- and if he had stopped to reload, I would surely be dead.
Criminals will always be able to get guns, laws be damned -- they always
have.

  Since that time I have obtained a license to carry.  Would it have
helped me in the situation above, not likely.  Has it helped me since?
Absolutely -- once.  The details are unimportant -- other than to say no
one died when I used my weapon (which is not to say the other guy was
not hurt) -- I did not die, nor was I shot.  There is no doubt in my
mind however that I would have died had I not used my weapon.  But you
must be trained to think *FRIST* before making a commitment to use a
weapon -- if you don't think first, using a weapon could be your very
downfall.

  I don't go looking for gun fights, no sane person does.  A firearm is
a LAST RESORT for law-abiding citizens who are justifiably afraid for
their lives.

  The main point is, I am alive today (whether because of my weapon or
the grace of god) -- do I not have the right to defend myself
responsibly?

  Too many people with the right to carry believe that they are pseudo-
cops, and nothing could be further from the case.

  I could give a damn about statistics -- I AM alive.  Surely none of
you would believe that I should be dead - surely.

  I remain a firm believer that with lawful carry permits comes a heavy
(very heavy indeed) responsibility to learn and understand when and how
that right should be exercised.

  (I would never give up my knives either -- they are simply tools for
me.)

  I'd love to see this thread die.

-b

Today's Topics:

   1. RE: turn in your knives! (Blanchard_Michael () emc com)
   2. Re: turn in your knives! (Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu)
   3. Re: turn in your knives! (Brian Loe)
   4. RE: turn in your knives!
      (Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah)
   5. Re: Re: knife ban going to work? (Jarrod Frates)
   6. Re: Re: knife ban going to work? (Brian Loe)
   7. Re: Re: knife ban going to work? (Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu)