funsec mailing list archives

[privacy] Twenty-First Century Wiretapping: Recognition

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 15:51:07 GMT

In a really interesting article, Ed Felten writes over on
"Freedom to Tinker":

[snip]

For the past several weeks I’ve been writing, on and off, about how technology enables new types of wiretapping, and
how public policy should cope with those changes. Having laid the groundwork we’re now ready for to bite into the most
interesting question.

Suppose the government is running, on every communication, some algorithm that classifies messages as suspicious or
not, and that every conversation labeled suspicious is played for a government agent. When, if ever, is government
justified in using such a scheme?

Many readers will say the answer is obviously “never”. Today I want to argue that that is wrong — that there are
situations where automated flagging of messages for human analysis can be justified.

[snip]

You should read the remainder of the article (and comments)
here:
http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=1023

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net