funsec mailing list archives

Re: Take back 20% of your bandwidth from winXP

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 12:47:18 -0400

On 6/2/06, MZR <mzrahman () gmail com> wrote:
Reed Loden wrote:
> Quoting Dude VanWinkle <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>:
>

>>http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/3113
>>
>>Microsoft reserves 20% of your available bandwidth for its own
>>purposes (suspect for updates and interrogating your machine etc..)
>

> Be careful what you read, as this claim is false.

It surely is a FUD. More info: http://news.slash.sg/?p=78

QoS may only be needed in special cases like when using ICS. So,
disabling or setting the value to 0% may degrade QoS. That said, maybe a
different value will work better in different cases.

I am still not convinced. I turned off QoS alltogether and I noticed a
big increase in speed, but maybe thats just me.

-JP