funsec mailing list archives

Re: 7 April 1964: Happy Birthday, IBM System/360

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 11:30:17 -0800

The IBM System/360 (S/360) is a mainframe computer system family announced by
International Business Machines on April 7, 1964. It was the first family of
computers making a clear distinction between architecture and implementation.

http://fergdawg.blogspot.com/2006/04/7-april-1964-happy-birthday-ibm.html

A bit of trivia.  A mathematical theorem (I think it was the four-colour thingie)
was proven using a computer.  A few years ago the (historical) reports about this
all just said "supercomputer," and so someone got interested in what the machine
actually was, and found that it was (if dim memory serves) a 360.  (It *might*
have been the followon 370, but I don't think so: if anything it might have been a
modded 360+.)  He then went and looked up the specs, and found that the
processing power involved fell somewhere in the range between a 486/25 and
486/33.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca      slade () victoria tc ca      rslade () sun soci niu edu
Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a
computer; Art is everything else.               - Donald Ervin Kunth
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm